Tuesday, August 12, 2008

GREEN!

Everybody is talking green these days. It's kind of funny to me. Over the last 2 years I have watched virtually all of our manufacturing partners become green. Some, without changing a thing! In all fairness, the flooring industry as a whole has been pretty good about this stuff. One reason is that it is cost effective in some cases to be green. But I'm certain it can be confusing to the average consumer because I am confused. Some companies are really trying to be green and others are just playing the game. Part of the problem is that there are so many different agencies claiming to be the authority on green-ness (Is that a word?). The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is one of the authorities. They emphasize the chain of custody of the wood flooring from the forest to your home. But here is the problem. I recently found one manufacturer touting themselves to be FSC certified. Upon some research I discovered that 1 product had been registered and it is not even sold in this country! But they have FSC all over their literature? Here are some of the things I look for when trying to sort through the green issue.
1. Products made with salvaged, recycled or agricultural waste content.
2. Products that conserve natural resources.
3. Products that avoid toxic or other emissions.
4. Products that save energy or water.
5. Products that contribute to a safe, healthy-built environment.

I could go much deeper into it but those are the basics. Pretty good guide as to what to look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment